We are very proud of the fantastic work that our students undertake in the community: they are wonderful ambassadors for themselves and the School, and do a great job of raising awareness of sport and health science. More than 70 students – from all programmes and years – have contributed more than 270 hours of their time to outreach activities this year. Planning for the latter has been overseen by Dr Trish Jackman and Dr Dan Martin, and the activities have included school visits, sport science evenings, national workshops and the delivery of sessions and services at off-campus events.

Three of our volunteers have kindly shared their reflections on their outreach contributions and what they have gained from their experiences:

Dona Hall (BSc (Hons) Health & Exercise Science, Year 2): Lincolnshire Police and Fire Rescue Wellbeing Conference 2019

“I was able to put my classroom skills and knowledge into practice when I was invited to represent the University at a regional conference for the emergency services. I interacted with delegates taking their blood pressure, and in some cases had to signpost them to seek medical advice. Being able to listen to eminent speakers on ways to keep the workforce healthy and hear the guest’s personal experiences illustrated to me health promotion in action and how it can make a real difference to people’s lives. I had useful conversations with the Police and Crime Commissioner about wellbeing initiatives for the police service and a representative from Active Lincolnshire who gave me ideas about volunteering and employment opportunities.”

Dona (left) and Associate Lecturer Georgia Clay at the Lincolnshire Police and Fire Rescue Wellbeing Conference

Esther Carter (BSc (Hons) Sport & Exercise Science, Year 2): School Workshops and National Biomechanics Day

“Since coming to the University of Lincoln, I have been given multiple opportunities to take part in voluntary work, including Outreach projects, which allow us to help deliver sport science workshops for local schools. These workshops are designed to allow local students to take part in various practical activities to build their interest in the different dimensions of Sports Science: Physiology, Psychology, Biomechanics and Nutrition, as well as allowing us as volunteers to gain our own valuable experience in leading applied Sport Science activities.

My involvement started with helping to support activities and working in a team to deliver Psychology workshops to a small number of sixth form students. The help and guidance from lecturers allowed me to quickly progress to leading a pressure plate analysis station for National Biomechanics Day for multiple groups of secondary school students, which was an enjoyable day for both volunteers and students. Those taking part in the National Biomechanics Day showed great enthusiasm to take part and to use the new technology, as well as being able to understand the output images on screen. Being part of the team which leads these workshops has allowed me to greatly improve my own knowledge in applied Sport Science and analysis techniques which can be used in future studies at the University, as well as helping me develop stronger employability skills. The support and praise from the lecturers given to the volunteers has boosted my confidence and leadership skills, and I look forward to volunteering for new activities with different groups of students in the future.”

Esther explaining the results of a pressure plate analysis as part of National Biomechanics Day

Brett Still (MSc Sport Science): School Workshops and Lincolnshire Cricket Emerging Players Programme

“Since starting my studies at the University of Lincoln I have had the fantastic opportunity to gain applied Sport Science experience through a number of volunteer experiences. I have delivered workshops for local schools and clubs and was involved with the Lincolnshire County Cricket youth development fitness testing taking a lead role for both the counter movement Jump and the Yo-Yo intermittent recovery multistage fitness test. I produced a report for the coaching staff describing the importance of aerobic fitness for county cricket players and detailing some training recommendations for how they could improve their aerobic capacity based on current scientific knowledge. Assisting with these applied activities has helped me tremendously in improving as an applied sports practitioner. I have been able to develop my soft skills alongside my academic studies and I believe this will make me more effective in my work and increase my employment opportunities.”

Brett (back row, far right) was part of a large group of students who delivered a range of excellent sport science sessions for students from The Priory City of Lincoln Academy.